Maintaining the beauty and shine of granite countertops takes very little time or expense. Just follow the simple steps below to keep surfaces sparkling for years to come.
Daily Cleaning and Maintenance
To keep your granite countertops from losing their luster doesn’t require special cleansers or expensive products. Simple daily maintenance on a consistent basis is all that’s necessary. Here’s a recipe for an easy, effective cleanser that you can make yourself. You probably have everything you need already. Keep it in a spray bottle in a handy spot where you can access it to clean surfaces often. Get into the habit of always spraying down surfaces, wiping them off, then drying with a paper towel after each use.
1/4 of water
1/4 cup of isopropyl alcohol
3 to 4 drops of detergent that contains no citrus extracts (citrus extracts are acidic, and dull the granite surface by eating away the sealant).
Spray surfaces. Clean with a microfiber cloth or sponge. Wipe down with cloth or sponge rinsed in clean water. Finish by wiping down surface to dry it with paper towel.
- To keep countertops from getting water stains, never allow surfaces to stay wet for long periods of time.
- Use a cutting board when preparing food.
- Keep acidic liquids, such as citrus juices, vinegars, and wine, from sitting on granite surfaces.
- Use padded cloth under hot items.
- Use coasters under drinks
We hope these simple tips have been helpful!